Thursday, April 18, 2013



Casa Blanca

1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening

                Casa Blanca is rated number three out of 100 movies, which I agree. This film is about a club owner played by Humphrey Bogart helping his past lover Ilsa played by Bergam and her current lover named Lazlo played by Henried.  The film takes place during the second World War at Casa Blanca in French Morocco neutral territory where people fled to escape Nazi control and gain entrance in to Lisbon or the United states by the use of exit visas. Humphrey Bogart’s character is given two exit visas by the police chief of Casa Blanca. The Nazi’s are interested in catching the character by the name of Victor Lazlo the leader of the European resistance and his lover Ilsa. Bogart during the film constantly says that he sticks his neck out for no one. However, being that his ex lover is involved it ultimately puts Ricks code to the test. Either help his ex and her current love escape nazi containment or do nothing to stop the Nazi’s gaining capture on them. There are many themes that come into play during this film, such as comedy, drama, and romance.

2)  Find a related article and summarize the content. 
                This article talks about the brilliance of Casa Blanca after a long 50 years. Celebrating the fact that it has been 50 years since the film release and still holds the same power to new viewers as it did when it first came out. Roger Ebert continues to break down the consistent qualities that the film brings and some same qualities that are present in other films.
             I chose this article because of the in-depth discussion Roger Ebert composes of his likes and dislikes about every character the fact that he agrees with my opinion about Victor Lazlo, that he was “leader of the resistance with no humor or resilience” (Roger Ebert). The article continues it’s critical review stating that the film itself gets better and better after multiple viewings. This article truly summed up the plot of Casa Blanca and all its glory.  

 3) Apply the article to the film screened in class. 
                This article is very in-depth describing each character’s motives dead on. I liked the review Roger Ebert gave, praising the films excellence and the film’s director Michael Curtiz. The appreciation resembles mine for the film and being that it has been an astounding 50 years since the film’s release. Roger Ebert does an excellent job taking the thoughts from my head and putting them into words very eloquently.
                 Describing the love affair between Isla and Rick as well as debating the direction of the character Victor Lazlo. Roger Ebert saw more appreciation for Humphrey Bogart’s character with his sacrifice for the greater good of his former lover Isla than the selfishness of his own emotions. I agree with Roger Ebert in this article 100 percent and I think he nailed the dynamic of Casa Blanca as well as the motive for every character in the film.

4) Write a critical analysis of the film.
                Casa Blanca in my opinion has deserved its spot in film history. Also has to be one of my favorite films. The director Michael Curtiz did an astounding job using point of view shots and intimate close ups with the characters to display their emotions for example the scene where Rick is sitting at the bar in pity before Isla walks in to confront him. I thought that the simple execution of the scenes did the film or justice verses a film like Citizen Kane where director Orson Welles used complex shots and editing.
The film is an instant classic in my book. Having a bit of every element, comedic one liners on the part of  the police chief, drama coming from Isla leaving Rick at the train station, and Heroic action taken by Rick as well as romance coming into play. The ending came as quite a surprise but all in all closed the film with no wanting of more, but completing the film with no loose ends. I have always had  a fascination for the time period that the film takes place and director Michael Curtiz does an excellent job depicting the evacuation of Paris, France from the Nazi’s as well as the fear of the Nazi’s during that time.
                The film remain consistent in keeping attention of the viewer, wondering what is going to unfold in the next scene, and doesn’t get boring. I would watch this film over and over again, Well deserved number three spot as a great American movie.

CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM 
1) (x  ) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class.

2) (x  ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper.

3) (x  ) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text.

4) ( x ) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.

5) ( x ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read.

6) (x  ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography.

7) ( x ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality.

8) (x  ) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.

Name: ________Erik L. Rivera______________________________  Date: ________________4/18/2013____________


No comments:

Post a Comment