Thursday, April 4, 2013

Gone With the Wind

1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.

          Gone with The Wind was and epic love story, breaking barriers and I would say defined its time and defines America today. The Film was four hours long and did not "drag" or take long to get enticing or exciting. Every moment of the film I found myself wondering what was going to happen next. Not only just a good film, Gone With the Wind became the key component in showing acceptance toward African Americans.
          Mainstream Hollywood tended to use black actors as menial help as extras and as marginalized talent. Never were black actors given a lead role, I would say Gone with the Wind was one of the first films to have black actors as the supporting cast. Black filmmakers created 500 “race” films between 1915 and 1950. These films were produced for an all-black audience, with an all-black cast. Although, these films for the most part are financed and directed by black filmmakers, sometimes financed by white backers.
          Margaret Mitchell wrote “Gone with the Wind” in 1936 and it took her 10 years to write. Prodcuer David Selznick purchased the rights of the novel for 50,000 dollars. “Gone with the Wind” was the only novel published during Margaret Mitchell’s life, a bestseller. Margaret Mitchell ended up dying by getting hit from a speeding car. The movie “Gone with the Wind” ended up being an instant classic and the highest grossing movie up until 1966. “Gone with the Wind” also was one of the first films shot in Technicolor. To this day “Gone with the Wind” is ranked 4th in the American Film institute’s top 100 films Great American films.



2) Find a related article and summarize the content.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/414427/Gone-With-the-Wind/articles.html#02

“Gone with the Wind” is one of America’s greatest films. Believe it or not the novel almost never got published. “The manuscript stayed in her closet” (Tcm). “Margaret Mitchell decided to turn her family life in the antebellum south and civil war story into a novel” (Tcm). Originally the book was not to be published until Mitchell’s friend had the manuscript shopped around. Margaret Mitchell reportedly wanted 100,000 dollars from the buyer of the rights for the story (Tcm). Producer David Selznick was in competition with RKO productions for the rights. Finally Margaret Mitchell agreed to 50,000 dollars and Selznick began producing what would be one of America’s greatest films.

          “Margaret Mitchell’s book was hit before it even hit the shelves”(Tcm). Being that it was such a top seller. Selznick wished to stay as close to the book as possible. It took “sixteen different writers” (Tcm). Also one year to finish the novel into a screen play. A part that made this film so successful was not only the script itself but the locations, and actors. All of which took time to produce. David Selznick had always wanted Clark Gable to play the role of Rhett Butler. Although Gable at first was not up to the part, “lacking the ability as an actor during the emotional scenes”(Tcm). To mention Clark was signed with MGM studios and being that he was contracted with that company. Selznick had to get permission from MGM to have Gable in the movie. Needless to say Arrangements were made, as for the roll of Scarlett it is said “Selznick was on a massive talent hunt, casting call of 1,400 candidates. One which included Lucille Ball”(Tcm). Scarlett was not found right away but the show had to go on.

3) Apply the article to the film screened in class.
How did the article support or change the way you thought about the film, director, content,
etc.?

 I thought this article was very in-depth, dealing with all the behind the scenes information as well as the drama that went on between the producer David Selznick and production companies such as MGM. I also liked the fact that it got into detail about the casting. I thought it was amazing that so many people were on casting call for the roll of Scarlett. I also liked the fact that David Selznick chose Clark Gable for the role right of Rhett Butler right from the beginning. But, what appalled me was the fact that Gable turned down the role in the beginning.  I’ve never read gone with the wind, but, judging from this article and the success of the film. My guess is that Selznick stayed as close to the novel as possible. After reading this article it has given me a new incite and perspective to the film. I like it more now that I know all this information. It is very rare that a movie based off a book is ever exact or a best seller and I believe “Gone with the Wind” defines those types of screenplays and films based off of books.


4) Write a critical analysis of the fil
         I rather much enjoyed “Gone with the Wind” I thought this was the mother of all love stories. The cast was very incredible and it didn’t feel as if the cast was acting. All the events felt real. I felt very in touch with each character. The locations for this film were very beautiful and well put together. Nothing seemed out of place or too farfetched especially when it came down to displaying the wealth of Clark Gable’s character Rhett Butler. Being the time period this film was made, to be so captivated by watching this film, just shows how and why this film is an instant American classic. This film really depicts America during the civil war and really gives a great look to how life was lived. The script and dialogue was well written especially that famous line “frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn!” I believe this film has held up to its reputation, the only thing I could say I didn’t like, was the ending. I wish there had been a sequel.

CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM
1) (x ) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class.

2) (x ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper.

3) (x ) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text.

4) (x ) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.

5) (x ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read.

6) (x ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography.

7) (x ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality.

8) (x ) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper



Erik L Rivera 4-4-13

No comments:

Post a Comment